PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Power Rankings 11-14

JALMOND
November 16th, 2011, 12:43 AM
So here we are at the last week of the season and, except for at least a couple teams, the season will finally be over (Northern Colorado's season was over last week). But until then there is some good football left to play as this weekend features some rivalry games which are always good fun. Here are this week's conference power rankings (last week). All are my opinion only and all are still up for discussion. We are getting close to the end.

1. Montana State (1)---The Bobcats have been cruising through the season unblemished and strong talk about their first national championship since 1984. Last week, a welcome relief with a week off before their annual tilt with Montana. What has to feel good is the big game is in their house.

2. Montana (2)---Like Montana State, the Grizzlies as well had last week off to prepare for the big game this week. They also had a cushion the week before as they played DII Western Oregon so it has been awhile since they have faced FCS competition. Will that be a bit of a hindrance?

3. Portland State (3)---The Vikings march to a great season and a slight chance at the playoffs almost went off the tracks last week at Northern Colorado, but they were able to escape with a win. Any dreams of the playoffs have to come first with a win this week at home against Weber State. For that, the Vikings definitely need to play better.

4. Eastern Washington (4)---The Eagles outlasted Cal Poly last week (is the game over yet?) in a triple overtime thriller in their first game since getting knocked out of the playoff picture. Now they finish the season on the road at Idaho State. A big finish and the bad start will be forgotten.

5. Sacramento State (6)---The Hornets may have given up on the kicking game, but they are able to get the ball in the end zone, as evident by their game last week against Idaho State. The defense gave up field goals while the offense was scoring touchdowns. The thing is, can they still win with no kicking game? This weekend they welcome their rival, UC-Davis.

6. Weber State (7)---Just when people were writing off the Wildcats, they showed there is still some life in Ogden and they are hoping for a good send-off for their coach. They got by Northern Arizona last week who was playing some good football lately. Now this week, they hit the road for a game at Portland State. Another good win for their coach?

7. Northern Arizona (5)---Playing for pride did not stop the Lumberjacks from mounting a charge, getting wins over Sacramento State and Northern Colorado. However, their charge took a detour last week at Weber State. But the quest for spoiler continues as they have a home date this weekend with up and down Southern Utah.

8. Northern Colorado (9)---The Bears tried and tried against tremendous odds to get that elusive first win and it seemed like they got it last weekend against Portland State. But a penalty wiped out a sure touchdown and the Bears finished the year winless. Still the team playing at the end of the year was clearly better than that team that started the year and a good foundation to build on.

9. Idaho State (9)---Clearly, the Bengals had started their own rebuilding process long ago. Last weekend, they could not get into the end zone against Sacramento State and found themselves on the losing end once again. This weekend, they head to Eastern Washington, a game the coach will want to win. The thing is, will the Bengals want to win?

MSUBobcat
November 16th, 2011, 11:30 AM
Well done as usual JALMOND. Here's my go at it, with a few minor differences. Was out of town last week, so I don't have a previous week's ranking.

1. MSU - Still have no FCS losses. We will see just how good they are, as they face their toughest competition of the year outside of FBS Utah.

2. UM - Griz are clicking right along, and with a bye last week, this year's Brawl of the Wild should be a great game to watch.

3. PSU - I had a hard time with PSU. They "won" the game, but without the blown call on the penalty-negated TD at the end of the game, PSU most likely loses on UNC's ensuing PAT. However, they have won every other BSC game except against the 2 teams above them and have BBQ this weekend at home, so I didn't drop them b/c Weber has to prove on the field that they are better and while UNC got hosed, they can't jump from the cellar to #3. PSU is #3 by default.

4. EWU - Hard fought victory over Cal Poly w/ conference patsy ISU to end the year. After a disappointing start EWU should finish w/ >.500 record both in conference and overall. The loss to PSU at home looms large...

5. WSU - Weber won on a late TD last weekend and goes on the road to face a PSU team that struggled against an improving Bears team. PSU can prove they are in the upper echelon of the conference or Weber can send their coach off on a winning note.

6. NAU - Narrowly lost to WSU in Ogden. With the exception of FBS Arizona and MSU, NAU has been within 1 possesion in their 4 other losses. Though they lack the signature wins of Sac St., they won head to head 3 weeks ago, while Sac St. hasn't done much since September.

7. Sac St. - After 2 signature wins in the early going of the season, Sac St. has only managed to beat the conference cellar dwellers. Disappointing season for the Hornets, who will finish with sub-.500 records both in conference and overall, even with a win.

8. UNC - Though they technically lost the game due to an officiating error and finish the season winless, the Bears have shown much improvement since the start of the season and have proved to be a tough game when in Greeley, staying close to MSU for much of the game, losing to UND on a long, late FG, and being a blown call and ensuing PAT from beating PSU.

9. ISU - Though they have a couple wins, the team has been in decline since Oct. 1, losing by at least 15 in every game since (and at least 27 in the other 4 games). If they played the Bears now, instead of mid-Sept. I think there is a pretty good chance the Bears pull off the win.

wapiti
November 16th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Good Job Jalmod.
I agree with you except for 8 and 9. I left UNC on at the bottom because of no wins.

1. Montana State

2. Montana

3. Portland State

4. Eastern Washington

5. Sacramento State

6. Weber State

7. Northern Arizona

8. Idaho State

9. Northern Colorado

Cleets
November 16th, 2011, 02:56 PM
I'm open to any corrections or specific points - but - doesn't what's happening to Eastern this year show us just how difficult it is to do what the Grizzlies have been doing for almost 2 decades..?
and that is: Win a bunch of games - go deep into the playoffs - and then do it again the next year...

It makes you look at App State and Montana and just nod in respect

xnodx

Silenoz
November 16th, 2011, 03:07 PM
UNC is definitely playing better than ISU at this point. It will be interesting to see where they're at in preseason polls next year (I guess that goes for all teams considering the expansion)

dystopiamembrane
November 16th, 2011, 03:12 PM
The Big Sky Conference has determined that the penalty which erased the UNC touchdown at the end of the match was called incorrectly.

MSUBobcat
November 16th, 2011, 03:52 PM
The Big Sky Conference has determined that the penalty which erased the UNC touchdown at the end of the match was called incorrectly.

That was the blown call that cost UNC the victory over PSU that I was referring to in my rankings this week. Unfortunate for UNC.

dystopiamembrane
November 17th, 2011, 10:02 AM
Viks should be up for Weber to redeem themselves after that "loss".