PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Conference vs I-A

TexasTerror
May 14th, 2006, 08:14 PM
This article is very informative. Discusses the pros and cons of playing I-A squads for the Big Sky schools including providing remarks and figures from Montana, Idaho State, Sac St, Montana St and Portland St. Think all of our friends from Big Sky country will find this one informing...

The nine I-AA Big Sky Conference football teams will play I-A teams 12 times in 2006...

By Ryan Divish - Journal Sports Writer

Larry Lewis doesn't strike people as the gambling type. It's evident in the way he coaches his Idaho State football team, stressing solid field-position football, special teams superiority and total avoidance of turnovers.

Lewis go for it on fourth-down-and-three on his own 40-yard line?

Not quite.

Punt it, pin them deep in their own territory, get a stop and get the ball back in even better shape - that's ISU football.

It hardly evokes images of Lewis plunking down $100 chips and shucking dice on a craps table.

That's why it seems strange that Lewis and the Bengals open the season in gambling heaven, taking part in Division I-AA's biggest game of chance, playing Division I-A Nevada-Las Vegas on Sept. 2.

Would Lewis rather open the season in the friendly confines of Holt Arena against a lesser opponent, perhaps Division II Central Washington, instead of rolling the dice with his players health and his team's season against a big boy from the Mountain West Conference? You bet.

http://www.journalnet.com/articles/2006/05/14/sports/sports01.txt

ucdtim17
May 14th, 2006, 10:24 PM
good article

dbackjon
May 15th, 2006, 02:49 PM
Very good article - thanks for posting it.

putter
May 15th, 2006, 04:30 PM
With that much money going to the Big Sky, I don't think these games will end any time soon. PSU will get a nice payday for their 3 days but how much will it beat them up?

SactoHornetFan
May 15th, 2006, 06:38 PM
With that much money going to the Big Sky, I don't think these games will end any time soon. PSU will get a nice payday for their 3 days but how much will it beat them up?

Probably to the point where they will be lucky if they finish 4-7 overall.

May 15th, 2006, 07:01 PM
Even with Ryan being a top-notch I-AA beat writer he slips up a few times in the article with nomenclature. Hopefully the NCAA gets this rectified sooner rather than later.