PDA

View Full Version : Payton, Buchanan Lists Updated: Quick, West, Norman added

smallcollegefbfan
November 15th, 2011, 10:01 AM
Quick, West move onto Payton list; Norman joins Buchanan list
By Craig Haley, FCS Executive Director

[In The FCS Huddle] Philadelphia, PA (Sports Network) - Oh, can the voters make a strong case for so many players nominated for this year's FCS awards.

And two of the watch lists just got stronger.

The season-long excellence of Appalachian State wide receiver Brian Quick and Towson running back Terrance West earned both players a spot on the Walter Payton Award Watch List on Tuesday, while Coastal Carolina cornerback Josh Norman joined the Buck Buchanan Award Watch List.

The 25th Walter Payton Award will honor the outstanding player in the Football Championship Subdivision and the Buck Buchanan Award is presented to the FCS' outstanding defensive player. The two highest player awards in the division are presented by The Sports Network and sponsored by Fathead.com.

http://64.246.64.33/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/haley/archive/haley_11_15_2011.htm

AppAlum2003
November 15th, 2011, 10:17 AM
Crazy that it took Quick this long to get on the list. While I don't think he should/will win the award, it's nice for I'm to receive SOME recognition... especially after setting the all-time receiving mark at ASU.

oceandogs
November 15th, 2011, 10:30 AM
I know big south competition isn't great, but I think Stony Brook's Brock Jackolski and Miguel Maysonet should be considered for the watch list. They are 17th and 2nd nationally in rushing ypg, 3rd and 26th in all purpose ypg, with 14 and 15 touchdowns respectively. Splitting carries hurts stats a bit, but these two can really play.

smallcollegefbfan
November 15th, 2011, 11:00 AM
Crazy that it took Quick this long to get on the list. While I don't think he should/will win the award, it's nice for I'm to receive SOME recognition... especially after setting the all-time receiving mark at ASU.

Yes I think Quick surpassing that mark got him in. He is definitely a stud. Interesting that they write he is the top prospect when NONE in the media have him there. Mark my words though. Quick WILL be the first FCS player drafted. He could go as high as the 25-35 range and no lower than the 45-55 range.

FargoBison
November 15th, 2011, 11:12 AM
How is Marcus Williams not on this list?

39 Tackles, 5 INT, 2TD, 9 BrUp
223 return yards, 1 TD

UIWWildthing
November 15th, 2011, 11:14 AM
Finally glad to see T-West on the Payton Watch list

Ginsbach
November 15th, 2011, 11:14 AM

223 return yards, 1 TD

I'd definitely put him on there.

On a different note, Rumble and Storms of ISU are on this list and both are deserving of it - they've been bright spots in (yet another) disappointing season for the Bengals.

AppAlum2003
November 15th, 2011, 12:15 PM
Yes I think Quick surpassing that mark got him in. He is definitely a stud. Interesting that they write he is the top prospect when NONE in the media have him there. Mark my words though. Quick WILL be the first FCS player drafted. He could go as high as the 25-35 range and no lower than the 45-55 range.

I know it's early but are any teams showing early interest? Hoping Jerry Angelo is paying attention.

AppAlum2003
November 15th, 2011, 12:15 PM

I know it's early but are any teams showing early interest? Hoping Jerry Angelo is paying attention.

UNH72Plus
November 15th, 2011, 01:09 PM
After seeing West decimate my Wildcats last weekend, I have to agree he belongs there. He can flatout play!

Libertine
November 15th, 2011, 01:48 PM
If they needed another Big South candidate, I would have taken Marty Patterson @ Gardner-Webb over Josh Norman any day of any week.

BEAR
November 16th, 2011, 04:59 PM
I'd like to throw in a candidate for the Buchanan list: (looking at the contenders, he fits in pretty well)

DEFENSIVE LEADERS GP Solo Ast Total TFL/Yds No-Yds Int-Yds BrUp QBH Rcv-Yds FF Kick Saf
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
12 Allison, Seth 11 60 34 94 14.5-70 4.0-38 2-34 2 . 1-0 2 . .

94 total tackles: 60 solo tackles, 34 assisted, 14.5 tackles for loss, 4 sacks, 2 INTS, 2 Forced fumbles.

Not bad for a kid that couldn't get a scholly because he was to small. xlolx

ASUMountaineer
November 17th, 2011, 08:43 AM

Wow, that would certainly be impressive.

appfan2008
November 17th, 2011, 08:56 AM

I love BQ and cheer for us to throw to him literally every play but those numbers seem just a bit high IMHO... but would be awesome if possible...

Professor Chaos
November 17th, 2011, 09:05 AM

223 return yards, 1 TD
Agreed, you can add 14 passes defensed and 198 INT return yards to that.

He's only a sophomore so maybe that works against him. He should be on the preseason Buchanan watch list next season.