PDA

View Full Version : Assuming a GSU loss to Alabama where will GSU be seeded?

GSU Eagle
November 13th, 2011, 06:47 PM
That would leave us at 9-2--winner of the SoCon. Eagle fans are having something of a debate over this. My feeling is that we would be a #2 seed behind Montana St. if they win over Montana this weekend.

I believe we would be seeded over Sam Houston St. and UNI.

What do the non-GSU fans think?

Engineer86
November 13th, 2011, 06:50 PM
I have you at #2 with Towson at #3 due to attendance otherwise I would put Towson in front of you.

FargoBison
November 13th, 2011, 06:52 PM
It depends a close lose or competitive game could sway my thinking but right now I have GSU at #4 with Towson being #5.

jmufan999
November 13th, 2011, 06:59 PM
You will be #2 regardless, #1 (obviously) if you pull off the biggest FCS upset of all time.

hawkineer
November 13th, 2011, 07:04 PM
You will be #2 regardless, #1 (obviously) if you pull off the biggest FCS upset of all time.
If the Eagles pull off the biggest FCS upset of all time, they may be seeded in the top 5 in the BCS.

putter
November 13th, 2011, 07:06 PM
No way a loss to Alabama should affect GSU place in the playoffs.

GSU Eagle
November 13th, 2011, 07:07 PM
I wish Alabama would just send us the money. This in one game I am not looking forward to-- I would not be surprised if we have under 100 total yards for the game. Alabama's defense is just damn good-- Big and Fast.

ASU_Fanatic
November 13th, 2011, 07:07 PM
You'll be lucky if you make it....

Engineer86
November 13th, 2011, 07:09 PM
You'll be lucky if you make it....

Lucky is no major injuries!

Blueandwhitefightfight
November 13th, 2011, 07:12 PM
I don't care where we are seeded with regards to the Bama game. I'm more concerned with making sure none of our guys get injured.

GSU Eagle
November 13th, 2011, 07:13 PM
I wish we could play this game as Game 1 instead of Game 11. Next year we do the same thing ending the year vs. Georgia. I think in 2013 we play LSU. I guess we are trying to give every SEC powerhouse a chance to crush us. But I think the money is good. I think we are getting somewhere around $600,000 from the Bama game. That buys alot of football equipment.

asumike83
November 13th, 2011, 07:14 PM
#2 seed should be a lock, regardless of the final score. If Montana State loses, I'd put y'all at #1. Sam Houston is a good squad but I'd put them at #3, the SLC is down this year.

JSUBison
November 13th, 2011, 07:16 PM
I think 2 or 3, depending on what everyone else does. But won't the committee see your record as 8-2 and not 9-2?

GSU Eagle
November 13th, 2011, 07:18 PM
Yes we will be 8-2 from D1 competition.

straightshooter
November 13th, 2011, 07:26 PM
Yes we will be 8-2 from D1 competition.

If GSU finishes with two loses, the committee will take a look at who those loses are to. A close loss to playoff bound App State in Boone and one against BCS #3 or higher Alabama in Tuscaloosa doesn't look too bad on a resume for the season. The big win against a Top 10 Wofford team in Spartanburg helps make the case for a pretty high seed. They'll also look at how long GSU was ranked #1 playing in a very tough conference.

FargoBison
November 13th, 2011, 07:36 PM
What if Wofford loses? GSU's best wins would be vs teams with 6 DI wins.

I'm not at all sold GSU is #2 no matter what happens. GSU could have one win vs a top 25 team and that team might be barely in the top 25.

james_lawfirm
November 13th, 2011, 07:46 PM
If the Eagles pull off the biggest FCS upset of all time, they may be seeded in the top 5 in the BCS.

Well, I don't know about that. They might get a handfull of votes in some meaningless poll. BUT, more importantly, should such an upset occur, they would surely get the #1 seed in the playoffs. The better question might be ... would Alabama get a seed in the FCS playoffs if they wanted a rematch?

I've never pulled for GaSo, but next week I'll make an exception.

Eagle16
November 13th, 2011, 07:49 PM
I'm not sold on NDSU getting a seed no matter what happens. They lost to an unranked YSU. We have one loss to a top 10 playoff team.

FargoBison
November 13th, 2011, 07:52 PM
I'm not sold on NDSU getting a seed no matter what happens. They lost to an unranked YSU. We have one loss to a top 10 playoff team.

YSU is a potential playoff team, nice try though. The Penguins might have more top 25 wins than GSU and just one less DI win.

stevdock
November 13th, 2011, 08:09 PM
As of right now I don't think anyone can debate that Montana St and SHSU have deserved a seed (what seed who knows). If MSU loses well then the debate begins. Based on what lots of CAA people have said that the conference isn't as strong as past years then I would assume that a 9-2 GSU and a 10-1 NDSU would be ahead of the CAA. I'm also assuming that Towson gets the #5 seed. I'm interested in seeing who actually has the better resume between GSU and NDSU. We can all agree that both teams would get killed at Alabama and both teams would beat the Gophers, but after that it comes down to strength of schedule. That could come down to a tie as both conferences are almost identical now. So will the tie breaker come down to us beating the Gophers or GSU not losing to an unranked team.

Eagle16
November 13th, 2011, 08:11 PM
YSU is a potential playoff team, nice try though. The Penguins might have more top 25 wins than GSU and just one less DI win.

That's funny. YSU isn't anywhere close to making the playoffs. Already going stir-crazy, huh?

Eagle16
November 13th, 2011, 08:15 PM
As of right now I don't think anyone can debate that Montana St and SHSU have deserved a seed (what seed who knows). If MSU loses well then the debate begins. Based on what lots of CAA people have said that the conference isn't as strong as past years then I would assume that a 9-2 GSU and a 10-1 NDSU would be ahead of the CAA. I'm also assuming that Towson gets the #5 seed. I'm interested in seeing who actually has the better resume between GSU and NDSU. We can all agree that both teams would get killed at Alabama and both teams would beat the Gophers, but after that it comes down to strength of schedule. That could come down to a tie as both conferences are almost identical now. So will the tie breaker come down to us beating the Gophers or GSU not losing to an unranked team.

I think the tie-breaker is looking at the losses. GSU loss to App vs. NDSU loss to YSU.

FargoBison
November 13th, 2011, 08:15 PM
That's funny. YSU isn't anywhere close to making the playoffs. Already going stir-crazy, huh?

You're seriously going to go with this? You know how many playoff threads here discuss YSU as a possible team? All of them....

FargoBison
November 13th, 2011, 08:18 PM
I think the tie-breaker is looking at the losses. GSU loss to App vs. NDSU loss to YSU.

Tiebreaker???

10-1>8-2(sorry the DII win isn't counting)
Three wins over ranked teams<One or two wins vs ranked teams(not sure what happens to Furman)
YSU loss < App State loss

NDSU gets a bonus for an FBS win over Minnesota.

Eagle16
November 13th, 2011, 08:26 PM
You're seriously going to go with this? You know how many playoff threads here discuss YSU as a possible team? All of them....

Ok, there's threads predicting all sorts of non-sense. Do they have a long-shot? Sure. But, last week everyone had Furman as a lock so I don't put much value in that. It's unlikely YSU makes the playoffs.

Eagle16
November 13th, 2011, 08:42 PM
Tiebreaker???

10-1>8-2(sorry the DII win isn't counting)
Three wins over ranked teams<One or two wins vs ranked teams(not sure what happens to Furman)
YSU loss < App State loss

FBS losses never really count to the playoff committee. You guys will probably get some consideration for Minn, but really....it's Minnesota.

The ranked teams could be debated on conference strength. Furman should stay top 25, and though Chatt has a chance to end up ranked I think most that have seen Chatt would agree they are top 25 quality team. They had the misfortune to lose a few close games. Still could end up that we have 3 top 25 wins depending on Chatt/Wofford next week.

I guess we'll see...

Reign of Terrier
November 13th, 2011, 08:49 PM
I think GSU is no lower than the 3 seed. The case could be made for the #1 seed as the Big Sky is slightly down and Sam Houston does not play as a hard as a schedule. Attendance figures will also factor in, I'd say they are probably #2, especially if Wofford beats Chatty.

asumike83
November 13th, 2011, 08:54 PM

I do think that Minnesota is a good win but I'm not sure they get a bonus over GSU for it. I'm assuming they would look at their resumes side by side and look at the FBS opponents they played. Considering the enormous gap between Minnesota and Alabama, I don't think you can really draw any conclusion by comparing results.

frozennorth
November 13th, 2011, 08:57 PM
That would leave us at 9-2--winner of the SoCon. Eagle fans are having something of a debate over this. My feeling is that we would be a #2 seed behind Montana St. if they win over Montana this weekend.

I believe we would be seeded over Sam Houston St. and UNI.

What do the non-GSU fans think?not a chance. 8 d1 wins vs 10 for ndsu, 11 for shsu and 10 for msu.

FargoBison
November 13th, 2011, 08:58 PM
not a chance. 8 d1 wins vs 10 for ndsu, 11 for shsu and 10 for msu.

SHSU's SOS is light years worse than NDSU, GSU or MSU though. I'm starting to think they might be a four or five seed.

Reign of Terrier
November 13th, 2011, 09:04 PM
SHSU's SOS is light years worse than NDSU, GSU or MSU though. I'm starting to think they might be a four or five seed.

That wouldn't surprise me in the least, it looks like GSU will be a top 3 team this week and with attendance I'd figure they'd be better than SHSU and Montana state. It wouldn't surprise me if they were the #1 seed

frozennorth
November 13th, 2011, 09:08 PM
Gus shouldn't be punished for losing to alabama, they should be punished for playing a D2 team.

tribefan40
November 13th, 2011, 09:08 PM
No way a loss to Alabama should affect GSU place in the playoffs.

+1. I'm still expecting GSU to be #1, a la App St. 2010.

CropDuster
November 13th, 2011, 09:10 PM
Gus shouldn't be punished for losing to alabama, they should be punished for playing a D2 team.

Thank Coastal Carolina for that.

FargoBison
November 13th, 2011, 09:11 PM
Thank Coastal Carolina for that.

No you can thank yourselves for that....We could have settled this debate a few months ago....

CropDuster
November 13th, 2011, 09:17 PM
No you can thank yourselves for that....We could have settled this debate a few months ago....

CCU is the reason we played a D2. We played Presby after we bought out the game with y'all. Deal with it.

ngineer
November 13th, 2011, 09:26 PM
A loss to 'Bama shouldn't have any effect...even if lopsided.

straightshooter
November 13th, 2011, 09:36 PM

NDSU may get their chance at GSU...assuming they don't lay another egg like they did on Saturday.