PDA

View Full Version : Youngstown State-most underrated team in the FCS?

penguinpower
November 13th, 2011, 06:26 AM
I watch a lot of FCS football. I read many of the posts on this board and rarely post here. This is a subject that should be discussed and not just for Youngstown State's sake so please discuss your nomination here as well:

YSU lost to Indiana State by 2 (probably should have won that game, but they didn't get off the bus in the first QTR)
YSU beat Illinois state
YSU beat UNI up statistically in every category except the W/L stat.
YSU dominated NDSU statistically and won the game.

They have gotten better every week and are playing almost all red-shirt and true freshman. The youngsters figured out how to win a close game against a good team this week. Last week they learned how to play a good team on the road and came within 1:59 on a 4th and 1 play at UNI where UNI converted.

If I were a coach, YSU would be the last team that I would want to play right now. What is really amazing is that they didn't even get one vote from the TSN last week. Difficult to believe. I sometimes wonder what level of football they are watching. Richmond received votes last week. What a joke. Watch out for YSU they are bad news.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 13th, 2011, 06:37 AM
I give YSU credit....their no-huddle offense was pretty hard to figure out for the Bison.

Turnovers killed the Bison yesterday....but the defense laid an egg for sure. But that was because,IMO, the defensive coaches didn't have our guys ready.

Kudos to YSU....you played better yesterday and deserved to win.....period!

Gil Dobie
November 13th, 2011, 07:06 AM
Expect NDSU's playoff opponents to watch the YSU game with intense interest.

Engineer86
November 13th, 2011, 07:11 AM
Expect NDSU's playoff opponents to watch the YSU game with intense interest.

Absolutely, this is the flip side to the view that one loss will refocus a team. I did not see the game, if turnovers were a driving force in the outcome, I would side with "refocus"

penguinpower
November 13th, 2011, 07:21 AM
It wasn't about turnovers. It was about TOP.
Team Stat Comparison

Youngstown St N Dakota St
1st Downs 24 11
3rd down efficiency 5-13 4-10
4th down efficiency 1-1 0-2
Total Yards 451 293
Passing 237 133
Comp-Att 20-24 11-22
Yards per pass 9.9 6.0
Rushing 214 160
Rushing Attempts 45 28
Yards per rush 4.8 5.7
Penalties 5-35 1-15
Turnovers 1 2
Fumbles lost 0 2
Interceptions thrown 1 0
Possession 37:36 22:24

gotts
November 13th, 2011, 07:26 AM
Team Stat Comparison

1st Downs 24 11
Total Yards 451 293
Passing 237 133
Comp-Att 20-24 11-22
Yards per pass 9.9 6.0
Rushing 214 160
Rushing Attempts 45 28
Yards per rush 4.8 5.7
Penalties 5-35 1-15
Turnovers 1 2
Fumbles lost 0 2
Interceptions thrown 1 0

TOP doesn't really tell the story when you start with a handful of short fields.

IMO YSU defense dominated NDSU offense in second half. YSU definitely deserved that win.

semobison
November 13th, 2011, 07:35 AM
Congrats on the big win! YSU is a dangerous team right now! My only question is; How did you guys lose to the Jacks? Thats the game that has kept you down in the rankings IMO!

RabidRabbit
November 13th, 2011, 08:04 AM
I know the Jacks only finished 5-6, but after Austin Sumner took over at QB, they have been much improved. Jacks, with Sumner, and his 2 wides, Moss and Rollins from the beginning would have been likely 7-4 or better. IMHO, the Jacks would have won vs IL St and In St. IL St game was Sumner's first, and the SDSU coaches handcuffed him on play calling the first half. In St. included two of the most bizarre situations that led to short field situations that Sycs capitalized on. NDSU was the ONLY team in the MVFC that beat the Jacks. Otherwise, Jacks lost thru their own failures, rather than got beat by a better team. BTW, have you checked out the SDSU rating in the GPI? In the 30's, not bad for a team with a losing record?

Using SDSU as a "bad loss" is like using Chatty or Furman or W&M as a bad loss.

semobison
November 13th, 2011, 08:33 AM
I know the Jacks only finished 5-6, but after Austin Sumner took over at QB, they have been much improved. Jacks, with Sumner, and his 2 wides, Moss and Rollins from the beginning would have been likely 7-4 or better. IMHO, the Jacks would have won vs IL St and In St. IL St game was Sumner's first, and the SDSU coaches handcuffed him on play calling the first half. In St. included two of the most bizarre situations that led to short field situations that Sycs capitalized on. NDSU was the ONLY team in the MVFC that beat the Jacks. Otherwise, Jacks lost thru their own failures, rather than got beat by a better team. BTW, have you checked out the SDSU rating in the GPI? In the 30's, not bad for a team with a losing record?

Using SDSU as a "bad loss" is like using Chatty or Furman or W&M as a bad loss.

My apoligies for dissing the Jacks but the YSU team we played last night beats the Jacks team we saw! Not dissing you but they manhandled us up front! Just goes to show you that there are no gimmes in the Valley! I expect you guys to be in the hunt again next year!

penguinpower
November 13th, 2011, 08:52 AM
YSU is a very young team and they have been gaining experience week after week. They have improved every week and they have finally arrived.

Engineer86
November 13th, 2011, 08:55 AM
YSU is a very young team and they have been gaining experience week after week. They have improved every week and they have finally arrived.

Remember the problem with young teams is inconsistency. They need to stay focussed for one more week just to get in, then stay focused every week. The pressure will be a good learning experience forma young team.

Thundar
November 13th, 2011, 09:07 AM
Team Stat Comparison

1st Downs 24 11
Total Yards 451 293
Passing 237 133
Comp-Att 20-24 11-22
Yards per pass 9.9 6.0
Rushing 214 160
Rushing Attempts 45 28
Yards per rush 4.8 5.7
Penalties 5-35 1-15
Turnovers 1 2
Fumbles lost 0 2
Interceptions thrown 1 0

Really? We started at the 40 several times, didnt complete the drives, but that Fumble in open field by DJ that would have been 6 points was a complete game changer we get that TD and we were up 10 points.

PantherRob82
November 13th, 2011, 09:52 AM
I watch a lot of FCS football. I read many of the posts on this board and rarely post here. This is a subject that should be discussed and not just for Youngstown State's sake so please discuss your nomination here as well:

YSU lost to Indiana State by 2 (probably should have won that game, but they didn't get off the bus in the first QTR)
YSU beat Illinois state
YSU beat UNI up statistically in every category except the W/L stat.
YSU dominated NDSU statistically and won the game.

They have gotten better every week and are playing almost all red-shirt and true freshman. The youngsters figured out how to win a close game against a good team this week. Last week they learned how to play a good team on the road and came within 1:59 on a 4th and 1 play at UNI where UNI converted.

If I were a coach, YSU would be the last team that I would want to play right now. What is really amazing is that they didn't even get one vote from the TSN last week. Difficult to believe. I sometimes wonder what level of football they are watching. Richmond received votes last week. What a joke. Watch out for YSU they are bad news.

Don't forget you played UNI in a redshirt freshman's first start at QB. ;)

semobison
November 13th, 2011, 10:05 AM
Really? We started at the 40 several times, didnt complete the drives, but that Fumble in open field by DJ that would have been 6 points was a complete game changer we get that TD and we were up 10 points.

The fumble by DJ was costly but we got a gift on the roughing the passer penalty on Brocks int! That evens thing out IMO! YSU was the better team last night controlling the ball and the clock! The real measure of the Bison this season will be how we bounce back! Playoff wins will make us forget this game even happened!

Chi Panther
November 13th, 2011, 11:15 AM
YSU played very good against UNI. They probably are turning the corner

Chi Panther
November 13th, 2011, 11:15 AM
YSU played very good against UNI. They probably are turning the corner, not really a surprise to see this win!

DoubleE
November 13th, 2011, 11:34 AM
YSU played very good against UNI. They probably are turning the corner, not really a surprise to see this win!

If that 4th and goal 2nd effort went the other way.....................

YSU had 50 new players this year (not joking) and as the season went on the team started jelling, the defense is the weak part of the team starting so many freshman on it but they are starting to play well together and i think this team is gelling at the right time. good news is because this team is so young we dont lose any key pieces so next year YSU is gonna be very very dangerous

DJKyR0
November 13th, 2011, 11:35 AM
If that 4th and goal 2nd effort went the other way.....................

YSU had 50 new players this year (not joking) and as the season went on the team started jelling, the defense is the weak part of the team starting so many freshman on it but they are starting to play well together and i think this team is gelling at the right time. good news is because this team is so young we dont lose any key pieces so next year YSU is gonna be very very dangerous

I was really impressed with Kurt Hess as a freshman and he's made every bit the leap our guy Jensen has. YSU's o-line looked beastly yesterday and if they can continue to develop as a unit the Penguins can do some big damage in the next few years, perhaps starting with the playoffs this year.

BlueGoldAg
November 13th, 2011, 11:40 AM
I'm not shocked that YSU beat NDSU yesterday. I've had them in my top 25 a few times this year. I remember watching them on TV against Michigan State and I was impressed with them.

Like many of the AGS members here, I seldom have a chance to actually see teams play on TV outside of my area of the country. So I rely heavily on what other polls and other members say about the teams in their area of the country. Since the Penquins weren't getting that much attention in the weekly poll, I figured the AGS members in the midwest knew something I didn't and I was hesitant to place them even higher in my weekly voting. Beating the Bison has certainly got everyone's attention now.