PDA

View Full Version : CSJ: Playoff Eligibility: Week 12

Lehigh Football Nation
November 13th, 2011, 12:18 AM
http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/79-college-sports-journal/chuck-burton/93-playoff-eligibility-week-12

List of teams eligible for the FCS Playoffs. Updated for Week 12.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 13th, 2011, 08:42 AM
Four autobids have been determined - and a lot of teams have already made the 7 D-I threashold.

eagle07
November 13th, 2011, 09:34 AM
Im assuming a typo beside wofford, should be "cannot win the autobid" their only chance is to beat a rested and way better than 5-5 chattanooga team just to sneak into the playoffs

Humble Steward
November 13th, 2011, 10:42 AM
With a win over Florida A&M in the Florida Classic, I think my fight Wildcats will make the post seasonxnodx. Got to win and finish the season with a 6 game winning streak. Starting to play Wildcat football on the offensive side of the ball. We'll need it going into this game.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 13th, 2011, 10:43 AM
With a win over Florida A&M in the Florida Classic, I think my fight Wildcats will make the post seasonxnodx. Got to win and finish the season with a 6 game winning streak. Starting to play Wildcat football on the offensive side of the ball. We'll need it going into this game.

It is, and it's fixed. Thanks!

dgreco
November 13th, 2011, 02:50 PM
Four autobids have been determined - and a lot of teams have already made the 7 D-I threashold.

a lot of 7-4 teams this year; should be an interesting playoff field.

dystopiamembrane
November 13th, 2011, 03:36 PM
xoopsx If only Portland State hadn't scheduled Southern Oregon AND Willamette.

MTfan4life
November 13th, 2011, 03:50 PM

That's pretty bold. Is there a FCS NIT happening that I don't know about?

dystopiamembrane
November 13th, 2011, 04:02 PM
Low blow.

Engineer86
November 13th, 2011, 04:57 PM

Did they have options? Too bad the AD decides it for the team.

Humble Steward
November 13th, 2011, 05:08 PM

Clearly you don't agree with my statement and I'm okay with that, but you clearly know that if we win we are eligible with 7 D-I wins, while having defeated a top 20 team in Norfolk St. on the road. Also, we played a very spirited game against the Miami Hurricanes and would be finishing off the season with a 6 game win streak. That makes us eligible for consideration. Just because we are not one of your picks, tough.

As I clearly stated I think my Wildcats will make the post season. Having made the playoffs last season, I think we may be given the nod again. Just my opinion. I think NSU winning might actually help our case as an 8-3 team. Sorry that bothers you.xnodx

BCU is Nationally ranked in numerous key categories on both sides of the ball including:

10th in Total Offense
13th in Scoring Offense
6th in Rushing Offense

12th in Total Defense
25th in Scoring Defense
6th in Passing Defense

When you include BCU played Miami even for 3 quarters, the above national rankings, and 6 straight wins (assuming a FC victory) after the QB change, I think an 8-3 BCU would have a legit playoff resume.

MTfan4life
November 13th, 2011, 06:09 PM
Clearly you don't agree with my statement and I'm okay with that, but you clearly know that if we win we are eligible with 7 D-I wins, while having defeated a top 20 team in Norfolk St. on the road. Also, we played a very spirited game against the Miami Hurricanes and would be finishing off the season with a 6 game win streak. That makes us eligible for consideration. Just because we are not one of your picks, tough.

As I clearly stated I think my Wildcats will make the post season. Having made the playoffs last season, I think we may be given the nod again. Just my opinion. I think NSU winning might actually help our case as an 8-3 team. Sorry that bothers you.xnodx

BCU is Nationally ranked in numerous key categories on both sides of the ball including:

10th in Total Offense
13th in Scoring Offense
6th in Rushing Offense

12th in Total Defense
25th in Scoring Defense
6th in Passing Defense

When you include BCU played Miami even for 3 quarters, the above national rankings, and 6 straight wins (assuming a FC victory) after the QB change, I think an 8-3 BCU would have a legit playoff resume.

48th in the Sagarin rating, even below 3-7 UC-Davis. No one looks at playing strong for a couple quarters. Full games are evaluated. Last year BCU had one loss on the season and they got dominated at home. This year they have three losses and the potential to only have 7 Div I wins. For your sake, you shouldn't hope they look at last year's playoff inclusion. Statistics don't mean anything because they don't show the level of competition you faced. Argue them over other potential 7 win FCS programs on the bubble. A win over Norfolk State vs. a win over NDSU? The MEAC got two teams in last year and lost by 25 points each. I don't think that bodes well for their teams this year considering they have worse records this season. Sorry if that bothers you.

FargoBison
November 13th, 2011, 06:12 PM
The MEAC proved last year that the conference doesn't deserve an at-large.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 13th, 2011, 07:03 PM
What is it about the Sagarin rating that everyone loves these days? I don't know if BCU will make the field, but they are definitely a bubble team in my mind. I think they're behind some teams, but if they win and get some help, I think they have a better chance to make it than most realize.

ngineer
November 13th, 2011, 09:41 PM
B-CU is on the bubble, but they need some help. National comparative stats are meaningless. Some schools run it up on others while others play their two and three deep in fourth quarter. W-L and strenght of schedule is what carries the most weight.

Humble Steward
November 13th, 2011, 09:44 PM
48th in the Sagarin rating, even below 3-7 UC-Davis. No one looks at playing strong for a couple quarters. Full games are evaluated. Last year BCU had one loss on the season and they got dominated at home. This year they have three losses and the potential to only have 7 Div I wins. For your sake, you shouldn't hope they look at last year's playoff inclusion. Statistics don't mean anything because they don't show the level of competition you faced. Argue them over other potential 7 win FCS programs on the bubble. A win over Norfolk State vs. a win over NDSU? The MEAC got two teams in last year and lost by 25 points each. I don't think that bodes well for their teams this year considering they have worse records this season. Sorry if that bothers you.

No it doesn't bother me, but it was you who was talking about an NIT invitation, which you know we don't have. Therefore, the issue was with you and that shady remark. Once again sorry that it bothered you that I am projecting that my team has an opportunity to go to the post season. The committee will make the decision and I surely hope for me and you that they chose B-CU.xthumbsupx

Humble Steward
November 13th, 2011, 09:49 PM
B-CU is on the bubble, but they need some help. National comparative stats are meaningless. Some schools run it up on others while others play their two and three deep in fourth quarter. W-L and strenght of schedule is what carries the most weight.

I agree with you 100%.

Mr. C
November 13th, 2011, 09:52 PM
The MEAC proved last year that the conference doesn't deserve an at-large.
Bethune-Cookman actually played competitively with New Hampshire, despite the fact that the Wildcats were forced to play without their All-American quarterback Matt Johnson, who was out with a shoulder injury.

Mr. C
November 13th, 2011, 09:56 PM

Sagarin is always flawed, because he doesn't include non-D-I games in his computer rankings. I've tried to show people how bad Sagarin is since back in the 1990s. I'll never forget an Appalachian State team going to Marshall in 1995 and beating the Blundering Turds 10-3, finishing the regular season 11-0 and being ranked substantially BELOW Marshall by Sagarin. His ratings haven't gotten any better.

SeattleGriz
November 13th, 2011, 10:00 PM
Im assuming a typo beside wofford, should be "cannot win the autobid" their only chance is to beat a rested and way better than 5-5 chattanooga team just to sneak into the playoffs

If they are way better than 5-5, then why are they 5-5? Seems to me they are a 5-5 team! :D

Humble Steward
November 13th, 2011, 10:01 PM
Bethune-Cookman actually played competitively with New Hampshire, despite the fact that the Wildcats were forced to play without their All-American quarterback Matt Johnson, who was out with a shoulder injury.

I was going to mention that as well, but I didn't want to take away from New Hampshire's victory. We had to play with a QB who had very limited play during the entire season. The only reason he was on the field that day was because Matt had separated his shoulder. I give New Hampshire their props, they came to play, but we were not the same team without Matt leading the team. This year's team is just hitting their stride. Hopefully at the right time.

bojeta
November 13th, 2011, 10:05 PM

The movement of the Great West teams to the Big Sky will help Portland State as well. Next year, there should not be any Big Sky teams scheduling DII teams. Cal Poly's schedule is already complete and DII FREE!!!!!!! Here's the schedule along with the games I plan on attending home/away We've got you guys at home. Hope you can make it. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v455/bojeta/College%20Sports/CalPolyHelmetSchedule2012.jpg

UNH72Plus
November 14th, 2011, 12:46 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by competitive. UNH won 45-20 and beat BCU in every game statistic:

UNH BCU
Passing 289 192
Rushing 131 66
First Downs 20 17
Sacks 5 1
Interceptions 2 1

Oh, and our #1 quarterback who started every other game was also sidelined with an injury!

PantherRob82
November 14th, 2011, 12:53 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by competitive. UNH won 45-20 and beat BCU in every game statistic:

UNH BCU
Passing 289 192
Rushing 131 66
First Downs 20 17
Sacks 5 1
Interceptions 2 1

Oh, and our #1 quarterback who started every other game was also sidelined with an injury!

xlolx

I watched the game and agree.

Squealofthepig
November 14th, 2011, 01:23 PM
Did they have options? Too bad the AD decides it for the team.

Didn't see this answered in this thread; the Vikings had an (undisclosed) FCS team pull out of a game pretty much at the last possible moment, and Willamette (D-III, in-state though) was the best option available. Their coach, Nigel Burton, is doing an outstanding job there.